Trust and Estate Services
Since 1975, First Northern Bank has been proud to offer Trust and Estate Services. We work on an individual basis with our clients and tailor our service to our clients' unique needs and our fiduciary requirements.
Our trust officers utilize a team approach so that no matter who you speak with, you get the answers you need right away. Our mission is to establish a lasting and trusted relationship with our clients. After all, we are your community bank and that mission carries through to everything we do.
- AGENT: We offer agency services on behalf of trustee(s) including bill payment services and mineral distribution accounts.
- TRUSTEE OR CO-TRUSTEE: We can act as sole or co-trustee to manage your trust assets and administer the affairs of your trust if you are no longer able. Services include trust accounting, investment and management of trust assets, bill paying services, property and lease administration and virtually all other trust administration requirements.
- SUCCESSOR TRUSTEE: If you choose to appoint First Northern Bank as successor trustee of your trust, you have the peace of mind knowing we can step in and manage the trust when you are no longer able.
- EXECUTOR: We perform all required duties to settle your estate in accordance with your wishes.
Reasons to Create a Trust
- With a trust in place, you can plan for changing needs throughout your life
- Define how, and maximize what you leave to your beneficiaries
- Minimize the effect of taxes
- Provide for dependents or a spouse
Why Name a Corporate Trustee?
- EXPERIENCE: The fiduciary landscape can be complex and challenging to navigate. With First Northern Trust, you'll find the level of expertise and service you need to help guide you through the process. All trust personnel complete extensive and ongoing training with Certified Trust and Financial Advisors (CTFA) on staff.
- REGULATION: As a bank, we are under strict regulation from both state and federal agencies that ensure your trust is being administered in accordance with regulations, laws, and best practices. Additionally, we engage independent audits on an annual basis by a specialized fiduciary auditing firm. Most non-bank and family trustees are not subject to regulation and oversight.
- MAINTAIN YOUR PROFESSIONAL ADVISORS: We maintain relationships with your existing tax, legal and financial advisors who you trust and who know you best. For those without an existing financial advisor relationship, we provide those services to you. We act as an intermediary that brings all aspects of your estate and financial plan together. We realize that we cannot be all things to all people, which is why we become part of your trusted financial team to accomplish your goals.
- STABILITY: First Northern Bank was founded in 1885 and still today remains a strong and growing independent community bank. You can rest assured that our team-approach services will be there through generations to come; serving your children, grandchildren, and beyond.
- INDEPENDENCE: Even in the best situations, it can be difficult for a family member to act as trustee. When decisions need to be made, there is generally a high level of emotional stress, pressure from family to make certain decisions, or other problems that individual trustees encounter. We act as an independent, objective trustee that takes the stress off family members and allows impartial decisions to be made that are truly in the best interest of everyone.
Our Trust Staff
Wendy H. Martin, Vice President - Trust Officer
Wendy was born and raised in Wyoming and has worked in the banking industry for over 35 years, which provides her with extensive knowledge of financial and fiduciary management affairs. Wendy is a graduate of the Cannon Trust School and is a member of the Key Club of Professional Advisors for the Wyoming Community Foundation.
Nicholas B. Thom, CTFA
, Vice President - Trust Officer
Nick was born and raised in Buffalo, Wyoming and graduated from the University of Portland with B.B.A. in Finance. He started in the financial industry as an investment analyst with an institutional consulting firm in Portland, OR before transitioning to First Northern Bank. Nick is an honors graduate of the Graduate School of Banking at the University of Colorado, an honors graduate of the Cannon Trust School, and is a Certified Trust and Financial Advisor (CTFA). Additionally Nick is the current chair of the Johnson County Library Foundation, past Chair of the Buffalo Downtown Association and past member of the Trust Committee for the Wyoming Bankers' Association.
An escrow is a method of transferring or exchanging property through the use of a neutral third party, an escrow agent. As escrow agent in your transaction, First Northern Bank holds in safekeeping original documents, deeds, titles, or other security until the terms of the agreement have been met and the items are released. As escrow agent, First Northern Bank provides the following services:
- Holds escrow documents in safekeeping
- Processes all payments and disburses proceeds to seller
- Maintains an accounting of all transactions
- Provides tax reporting at year-end
Please note, First Northern Bank does not escrow for taxes and insurance. Arrangements must be made separately between buyer and seller to ensure taxes and insurance are paid by the appropriate party.
Non deposit investments available through First Northern Bank of Wyoming are not FDIC insured, are not guaranteed by First Northern Bank of Wyoming or any other institution and are subject to investment risk, including market risk, and may result in the loss of principal. First Northern Bank of Wyoming and its affiliates do not provide tax or legal advice. Please consult your tax or legal advisor to determine how this information may apply to your own situation. Whether any planned tax result is realized by you depends on the specific facts of your situation.